Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Dovetails

I started on the drawers for my shop cabinets the other day, and have completed my first dovetail drawer. I looked at numerous jigs, and even thought about doing them by hand. Eventually, I stumbled across a jig at home depot. I picked it up to try out, and if I feel like I need a more expensive jig, atleast I can learn on the cheaper one. The "Dovetailer" is made by General, and could not be much more simple. It is an all in one jig, capable of doing 1/2" half blind or full through dovetails. It is a good beginner jig, from what I have seen, and the $40.00 price tag was not too bad either.

Overall, I am happy with the jig. The only thing that I am not crazy about, is the rounded corners. This is the first jig that I have used, so I don't know if that is standard, but I did not think it was. Actually, if you do half blinds you do not even see the rounded corners though.

 
I slotted the drawer to have 1/2" plywood bottoms, and it tuned out pretty good.
Here is the first one complete and unfinished.


1 comment: